In 1956, the Philippine Government created an Exchange Visitor Program Committee, through Administrative Order No. 191, to coordinate its participation in the Program and properly channel the services of returned participants to the benefit of various government projects.
In 1970, then President Ferdinand Marcos reconstituted the EVP Committee by turning over the chairmanship to the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, with the Secretary of Health as Co-Chairman. The membership was also expanded to include the undersecretaries of Education, Foreign Affairs, Labor, National Defense, and the Assistant Executive Secretary of the Office of the President.
On 04 May 1994, then Secretary of Foreign Affairs Roberto Romulo issued DFA Office Order No. 406-94 transferring the coordination of the Philippine participation in the Program from the Office of American Affairs of the DFA to the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO). In an effort to institutionalize the necessary mechanism for the effective implementation of EVP, CFO conducted a series of consultation meetings with various government agencies with the end-view of instituting relevant changes in the structures and mechanisms for the EVP implementation. An interim EVP Committee was consequently formed out of these efforts.
This interim Committee, drawing from the mandate provided under A.O. No. 210 and through Resolution No. 01-95, tasked the CFO to be the Secretariat to the interim Committee.
The EVP Committee was finally reconstituted on 17 January 1996 through A.O. No. 242.
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Department of Health
- Department of Education
- Department of Labor and Employment
- Department of Science and Technology
- National Economic and Development Authority
- Professional Regulation Commission
- Commission on Higher Education
- Technical Education and Skills Development Authority
- Office of the President
- Commission on Filipinos Overseas